Sausage day

With work just around the corner I decided to finish up the last of my 2016 Whitetail buck and some ducks and geese I had in the freezer.

 This buck is my largest to date, A nice 4x4 who I took on public land. He has provided many a meal for me my family and friends and I'd be untruthful if I didn't say I'm sad to see this bounty come to an end.


So up at 7am and the work begins. I started off giving all the deer meat a short salt water bath to take out the last of any remaining blood making a cleaner tasting sausage. For the duck sausage I just de-boned a bunch of legs and thighs I had from several ducks, geese and pheasants. For the deer sausage I am using beef fat this time around. I find the flavor better and Kalee has a sensitivity to pork.


After everything is ground the real fun begins....spices!
First up is the duck sausage...
4 lbs duck/goose/pheasant meat (Duck skin attached)
1/2 pound beef fat
3 tablespoon dried onion 
2 table spoon Kosher salt
3 table spoons chopped fresh oregano
1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
2 teaspoon caraway seed
2 teaspoon 5 spice powder
1/2 cup Shiraz red wine

Next is the polish deer sausage...
5 lbs Venison
1 1/2 lb beef fat
2 tablespoon Kosher salt
2 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
2 teaspoon Paprika
1 teaspoon dried Majoram
1 teaspoon ground Mace
1 teaspoon ground Celery seed
1 teaspoon cure (Instacure)

3rd is my "Italian Special"
5 lbs Venison
2lbs Beef fat
1 cup fresh chopped oregano
1/4 cup whole mustard seed
5 garlic cloves chopped
2 table spoon Kosher salt
2 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon Fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon crushed chilis
1 tablespoon Paprika
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

4th is German
I cheated and used up the last of a commercial mix by Hi Mountain.


Then the stuffing begins...





And 10 hours later... all vacuum sealed and ready for the freezer

The first taste tests are done and the Duck sausage is my new favorite. The Polish comes in a close second. Now the freezer is empty it's time to start planning the 2017 hunting season. It should be good as this will be the year I draw Mulie again and I will be going after back country bull elk. Now that I have a good recipe for Duck/Geese  I expect Piper and I will be doing a lot of bird hunting as well.
Up next.....something fishy.








Comments

Popular Posts