Goat River BC

 Every  once and a while while your busy making plans life comes along as says "No No. We're doing this instead" Here I find myself in the middle of one of life's little reminders of how little we are in control of things. All my visions of  bow hunting elk on the eastern slopes of Kananaskis this year will have to wait. One of my closest family members is ill and My wife and I have come back to BC to help with the transition.

 Needing some balance in this difficult time I decided since I would be in Creston BC  I would do something I always wanted to do and that is fly fish all the pools on the upper Goat River. I have a deep connection with this river, I am a decedent of the Huscrofts, one of the pioneer families who settled the Creston valley in the late 1800's.  I grew up swimming and fishing the lower section of the Goat river with my cousins but my time on the upper section was limited to a few trips in my 20's to swim the Upper Canyon.  I always remembered the crystal clear water and thinking that is prime trout habitat.


 After a quick stop at Mawson's sports for some dry flies and advice I headed up the Leadville road. The Goat river flows next to the road and finding a spot to fish is easy. I suited up and headed down to the river. I tied on a Muddler minnow, a favourite of mine for unfamiliar water. It mimics several types of trout edibles and can be fished several different ways. The first pass behind a large boulder and I got a hit. My casting skills were a little rusty so the slack in my line didn't help the situation. For the next 20 minutes with pass after pass by the boulder Mr Trout tempted fate time and time again with quick hit and run bites...until he got greedy.


 With early success I packed up and continued on down the road. There was a pool just above the Canyon I'm sure holds some bigger fish. A quick stop at the Bridge for some pics and to take a few moments to remember the days of my youth, 25 years ago seems like yesterday.





















 I had the itch to see what lurks under that big rock........ a few Kms above the canyon there is a Rock  in a bend close to the road. This rock has lived in my dreams for 25 years. The rushing river runs straight into the face of a large outcropping of rock. It's a fairly deep pool and I expected something to be eagerly awaiting my fly. 1st up I drift a Muddler minnow right down the middle. As soon as it drifts over the ledge Wham! The fight is on. A 5 wt rod and barbless hooks makes for one heck of a scrap.

 Floating Parachuta Adams , Olve Caddis  and Black ants all produced fish, most were between 8-12 inches. The 5 pound lunker I was hoping for never appeared but It was a great amount of fun to fight these scrappy Kootaney fish. This is a catch and release zone and all were fish released for the next person to enjoy.


 A reminder this is bear country, while walking back to the truck a Black bear sow and her yearling greeted me, on the one time in years I didn't have my bear spray, D'oh! Thankfully they wanted no part of me and quickly moved off down the road.

The Goat river valley is truly a spectacular place. Crystal clear water, clean air, majestic forest and mountains combined with some of the hardest fighting fish I've ever had the pleasure to catch.  I don't now when  I'll be back and I was thinking of planning an annual trip but there is no point. Life will decide when I return.
Goat River BC 2018




Comments

Popular Posts